In those moments I feel like a cup. A cup you say? Yes, a cup.
A beautiful, porcelain mug. Delicate with etchings, flowers, colors, polka dots ... Heck, picture the most beautiful mug you've ever seen. That's what I feel like.
Here's the rub. There's a hairline fracture in this particular vessel. And a slow steady drip. All your energy, encouragement, drips out. Drop. by. precious. drop.
Every so often something, or someone, bumps into my cup. I get knocked over. And the crack chips a little further. There are days when I am drained completely. Other days the water level is going up ... and down ... up ... and down.
I look to my husband, boss, co-workers, friends, even my sweet baby boy to fill me back up again. Full of encouragement, hope, energy, resolve. But in my most honest moments I remember. It's not their job to fill me up. It's not their responsibility.
It's not even my responsibility to fill myself up. Retail therapy, Starbucks breaks. They bring a temporary lift. But that's not what I need.
What I need is permanent access to a waterfall. To let the floodgates open wide. To be drenched in the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Refreshment that only God can bring.
I need to recognize when my cup is emptying. That it's draining s.l.o.w.l.y. The water level is getting lower and lower. And in those moments, take my cup to the only One who can truly fill it. Fill it with everlasting water so sweet and pure that one drop fills an ocean of need.
No comments:
Post a Comment