Friday, January 25, 2013

Doing It on Your Own, Or Not

I think I am in need of some spice cake.  Some mixing bowl therapy with cream cheese frosting layers for good measure.  It’s been a long couple of weeks.  Let me say that again.  It’s been a long couple of weeks. 

My husband had been anticipating a major data center move at work for the past year.  The date was pushed back and back and back ... and finally landed in a cloud of dust on the weekend of January 19th. 

I figured, it’s one weekend.  I can handle this whole temporary “single mom” thing for one weekend.  Piece of (spice) cake!  I invited my mom to come out for some Nonni, Mommy, Grandson bonding time.  We’d have fun and she’d help break up the weekend so I didn’t pull too many hairs out.

What I wasn’t anticipating was the long work hours leading up to this big move.  The early mornings, the late nights.  Weeks of me alone at the helm, handling all the daycare drop offs and pick ups.  Breakfast, lunch and dinners.  All the diapers and rowdy playtimes.  All the through the night wake ups and medicine dropper doses.  All this doing-it-on-my-own-ness.

My sweet husband.  I just need to say, what an amazingly hard worker he is.  He’s been going these past few weeks non-stop.  Little to no sleep.  No time with his wife or son.  All without complaint.  His wife, not so much.  Every once in awhile a jab slips out. (Does once a day count as every once in awhile?)  Every once in awhile I have a major freak out over dinner with my son looking at me wondering why his mommy is hunched over in tears.  Bah!

It’s TOUGH.  It’s HARD.  It’s LONELY and FORGOTTEN.  This doing it all on my own. 

I have a newfound respect for those parents that do it on their own day in and day out, 365 days per year.  BLESSINGS to you who feed and nurture and wipe away the tears while juggling work and home and play and life all on your own.  You are heroes.  There’s no mistake about it.

And BLESSINGS to you in the military who tough it out day after day while your spouse is overseas fighting for our freedom while you are at home fighting for your family.  You are amazing.  My brief trial doesn’t even come close.  Thank you for your sacrifice on our behalf.

A week or so ago I purchased a new book, “Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions” by Lysa TerKeurst.  I’m only a few chapters in, but it’s been convicting to say the least.  God’s timing is uncanny.  It’s obvious He’s the one who created the universe and not I.  He provided the perfect opportunity for me to test out what I was reading and learning.  A test tube season for handling stress and chaos when I was exhausted and emotions were running high.  If you have little ones in the house I highly recommend the book (and again I’m only three chapters in).  Because no matter who you are, when you have a little munchkin running around the home they are going to push your buttons and give your patience a run for your money.  It’s guaranteed.

Our busy season isn’t over yet.  There’s more to come in the days ahead.  But, the good news is, no matter what I may think in the moment, I’m not alone.  God’s there with me every step of the way.  And no matter how today went, tomorrow is a fresh start.  Thank the Lord He’s given us a new chance every morning.  There’s a verse I’ve been reading every morning over the past few weeks.  It’s helped me keep some perspective as I start my day. 
“I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in Your Word.  My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on Your promises.” – Psalm 119:147-148 
I have put my hope in God’s Word … and in His promises.  He will see me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment