Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Small Town Girl

As much as I love the amenities living near a city provides ... great restaraunts, shops, the theatre ... there's a part of me that wonders if I was born to live in a small town.  The suburbs have served that purpose for me to some extent.  We are further removed from the heart of the city ... and have the opportunity to enjoy bike rides through town and walks to the park across the street.  But on crisp fall days I daydream about what life would be like in a small town.  Heck, living in Southern California, most of the time I have to daydream about crisp fall days!

I love stories like Anne of Green Gables and Beverly Lewis's series about Amish life.  These stories take me to a world where life goes a little slower.  Where baking is desirable ... and not a nuissance to your diet.  Where all your friends and family gather for quilting bees and baking days.  I realize that life isn't perfect in these rural settings.  Far from it!  But I suppose the grass is always greener. 

A month or so ago I picked up a copy of Victoria Magazine.  I used to be a subscriber years ago, before they discontinued the mag.  Well, it's back on shelves and I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try.  Tonight I indulged in the articles and photos of Autumn landscapes.  The issue I bought (Sept/Oct) featured a look at the Lake District in England and Beatrix Potter's home.  I was transported back in time to my trip through England and Scotland as a Senior at Azusa Pacific University.  We spent two weeks touring the countryside, visiting every well known author's home ... William Wordsworth, Beatrix Potter, William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens.  It was an incredible trip ... and for a half hour or so I was back there.  Visiting quaint cottages lush with lychen and rose gardens, sipping English Breakfast tea with jam and scones in tea shops all along the route, walking with the sheep at Hadrian's Wall, visiting grand cathedrals and Stonehenge.  Someday I hope to return, with Will by my side.  I still need to visit The Globe Theatre.  And traverse the landscape of Ireland.  We'll add it to the bucket list.  = )  But for now, I'll continue traveling via memory and the world wide web, cozy in my home with a little hot chocolate and a roaring fire to keep me company.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I too sometimes think I was supposed to be in another time. But
    wouldn't change my time now because I wouldn't have had the family
    I have now. Fall is a great time! Someday maybe I too will return to
    the British Isles to my roots. I enjoy your writing, SweetPea.

    ReplyDelete