Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Days and Good Reads

We're getting over the latest sickness craze in our home.  My sweet boy just had his 7th ear infection.  Yes, he's only 9 months old and has had 7 ear infections!  You know he's really sick when he's almost too weary to smile.  Forhead hot, bright pink cheeks, eyes too heavy to play.  I said "almost" because no matter how sick he is, he still manages to light up the room with a smile. 

Here is a pic of my boy in the middle of a reprieve from high temperatures.  He's a regular little drummer boy and this trash can is the perfect drum.  Not only does it make great sounds, it is just the right height for him to stand up against!



Days of managing high temps left my husband and I weary to the bone.  Our boy is normally a very good sleeper -- yes, I know how incredibly lucky we are!  It's one of our many blessings.  But a week of waking up every few hours night after night is wearing us and our immune systems thin.  As soon as Logan started perking up, Mommy and Daddy got sick.  Staff infections, ear infections.  We have all be on antibiotics galore.

On Thursday I started actually feeling human again.  With Logan back in his crib at night and having fewer interruptions, I started getting more precious sleep.  This is sorely needed for a girl who pre-baby required 9 hours a night in order to survive the day.  Somehow being a mom has made it possible for me to live a fairly normal, albeit caffeine filled day, after 4 to 6 hours of sleep.  Wonders never cease!

Thursday afternoon the weather was gorgeous.  I soaked up some sun on my lunch break; sitting in front of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, sipping a Chai Tea Latte and re-reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.  Nothing is more relaxing to me then enjoying a warm sunny day and an immensly good book.  Actually, any chance to curl up with a good book is relaxing to me.  For I am a book lover through and through.  Here are a few summer reads you might enjoy as well.

Kate Morton - "The House at Riverton"
Carol Goodman - "The Drowning Tree"
Alice Hoffman - "The Probable Future"
Nicholas Sparks - "The Wedding"
Jane Austin - "Pride and Prejudice"
Charlotte Bronte - "Jane Eyre"
J.K. Rowling - "Harry Potter" Series

For all the negatives that come from being a full time working mom, one of the great blessings of working in an office is every once in awhile I actually get a lunch break where I don't have errands to run or a little boy to take to the doctor.  Every once in awhile I get a luxurious hour to myself.  Believe me, I don't take these for granted!  What's funny is when I'm driving back to the office after a relaxing lunch break I am left longing to spend time with my boy.  The sun reminds me of childhood summers full of swimming and sprinkler running, popsicles and swings at the park.  There are moments I wish this summer could be simple and filled only with play days with my boy.  We try to fit those in on the weekends as much as possible.  Because there's nothing better than a little boy and the summer sun.



First time in the swings!

Nonnie's hat fits just right!

Our first time in the pool.

Loving his first swim lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment