Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Sounds of Silence

Silence is precious these days.  With the electronic cacophony of plastic drums, tool benches and balls, it’s a welcome relief to turn the TV off and enjoy the sultry whisper of the summer breeze floating in through an open window.  With curtains billowing in the wind and the sweet sound of baby slumber. 

Last week we took Logan to see an Ear Nose and Throat Doctor.  He’s right down the hall from Logan’s Allergist.  As we walked up to the office door I told Logan he is special to get to see so many special doctors.  The ENT visit was brief and the news somewhat expected.  With seven ear infections in nine months he is recommending putting tubes in Logan’s ears. 

The doctor checked Logan out and confirmed his recent infection is gone (Hooray!), but that he still has fluid in his ears (Boo!).  This was news to us.  Did you know it takes up to three months for fluid to clear out of the ears?  I sure didn’t.  And the real bummer is, my boy hasn’t gone three months without an ear infection.  The result is that he hears us, but everything sounds as if he’s under water.

This makes me incredibly sad.  Deep down I know he can hear things we say.  He has started to recognize his own name.  And he always calms down when I sing him our special songs.  But what about the sweet whispers of I love you in the dark of night?  Has he been able to hear all the stories I’ve read to him over his short lifetime? 

I suddenly feel very close to the teacher in Charlie Brown.  With “Wah wah wah wah wha.” ringing through my own un-water logged ears.  Words garbled, devoid of meaning.  Perhaps I’m over-reacting.  But the sounds of silence that were so sweet a day ago, now portent the possibility that that’s all my boy hears.  Garbled silence.

Tomorrow we will have tubes put in his ears.  The promise of hope bellows to us.  Loud, strong, and a little terrifying.  Anesthesia, variations of heart rates from birth, it’s all a bit scary.  I’m trying hard to put my HOPE in our CREATOR.  The ultimate HEALER.  He is the One who can restore health to our weary family.  He knows my boy’s ears inside and out.  He alone can restore crystal clear hearing to my boy who is learning the words of our world as if in a bubble. 

2 comments: