Thursday, August 30, 2012

That First Step


My son just took his very first steps.  We knew it was coming, but nothing could have prepared me for this moment.  Seeing him stand all on his own and walk back and forth between my husband and I.  It’s like seeing independence in action.  Him standing there with nothing supporting him but air.  

I’m overwhelmed by the feelings this moment elicited.  Joy, excitement, terror and sadness all rolled into one.  I sat there bawling.  Tears streaming down my face all while trying to smile big and show my joy for him.  

We sat there for the longest time letting him walk between us, clapping every time he arrived at his destination.  He caught on quickly and every time he reached one of us he sat down and clapped as well.  

Joy and tears.  His accomplishment is incredible.  I am so proud of my son.  My son, what joy filled words.  My son who can walk all on his own.  Balanced and steady, bright eyes and toothy grin.  My son, I am so very proud of you!


2 comments:

  1. Awwww!! This made me tear up a bit, remembering my boys' first steps. It seems so long ago - especially now that my oldest walks by himself, backpack strapped on his shoulders, to his kindergarten class, where I can no longer sit and "observe" him through a 2-way window like I could when he was in preschool. While it hasn't been quite so long since my little one took his first steps, it's still been almost 2 years, and now he barely has time to kiss me goodbye before running off to play in the sandbox with his friends. These days pass so quickly, and I'm so happy to be watching from afar as you enjoy this time with your son. I hope I'll be seeing him walk in person very soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you'll be seeing him soon as well. I don't think I've even met your littlest one in person yet!? Logan is growing up way to fast for me!

      Delete