Well, ok ... in this case A isn't for Autumn, it's for our house number ... but it works either way so let's just go with it. = )
This past Saturday my husband and I rode our bikes to the bike shop across town. The bikes were in desperate need of a tune up and it seemed the perfect sunny day for a ride. Little did I know that it was pushing 100 degrees with no breeze outside. My husband was in heaven. He somehow manages to derive energy from the scorching heat. I on the other hand tend to get heat exhaustion, so it wasn't quite the refreshing ride I was expecting. We were a block away from the shop and I was done. Ready to recline under a tree until he could come back for me with the car. It was Labor Day weekend and summer had finally come. Now, only three days later, the sky is overcast and gloomy. It's 60 degrees and looking every bit of a crisp California fall day. How the weather can turn so quickly I'll never understand. Summer has left just as quickly as it arrived (at least for a few more days that is!).
I love the summer. I love being able to sit outside sipping iced tea and reading a good book. On the other hand, I also love the fall. Growing up, October was always my favorite month of the year. I love to watch the trees change to gold, yellow, orange, and crimson. I love the brisk chill to the air when a breeze whips by. I love the scent of banana nut bread (I just pulled it out of the oven and the house just smells heavenly!). I love snuggling on the couch by a roaring fire with a cup of hot chocolate, marshmellows and a book. (Yes, books are an every season affair for me.)
A number of years ago I went to visit my girlfriend in Connecticut. She always said I was born to be an East Coaster due to my love of October. During the fall months I tend to think she's right. We planned my trip right in the middle of the month. We did all the cozy "New England" things I dream of doing in the fall. We went apple picking, went to a small town apple festival, enjoyed the creamy taste of apple butter (growing up in California I never realized all the amazing fall attributes the apple has). I had a phenomenal time. Not only did I get to live the "small town" fall experience for a couple of days, I got to enjoy the company of a very dear friend. I always think about that trip at this time of year. I remember the good conversations and the quaint outings. It was a memorable trip I will always cherish. I'll have to bring out the photos and scan them into my computer and share a few in the coming days.
In California we tend to get one, maybe two true "October" days. I'm on the watch, waiting to savor that "October" moment. It's hard to describe, but delicious to experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment