Sunday, September 12, 2010

Let the Football Commence

The first football Sunday of the season must really mean summer is over and fall is here.  We never watched football when I was growing up.  My dad was outnumbered with us three girls so the only sporting events he ever got to watch was the Super Bowl and some basketball if he was lucky.  Now that I married a football fan there's no getting around the sounds of a football game on any given Sunday.  I remember when they first came out with the NFL Network TV station ... football 24/7.  Man I was so sick of football that year. 

One year Will started teaching me about the game.  He got Maddon NFL on the Xbox 360 so I learned the rules of football watching him play Maddon.  That year he played the Eagles so I learned all the names of the Eagles players and most of the positions they played.  He had a signature move in the game and it was pretty funny when we watched a live Eagles game one Sunday and I asked why Donovan McNabb didn't run the ball to the right side of the screen.  It always seemed to work for him before.  Will just cracked up and reminded me that was a move he did in Maddon ... not an actual football game.  LOL 

But I tried.  He'd quiz me on the names of the NFL and AFL teams and what city they were from.  Once I actually learned how the game worked, it wasn't so boring to watch a game.  Though I'll never be a die hard football fan, I have a much greater tolerance of the game.  I can watch a couple plays throughout a game (in between my naps) hehe.

The good thing about football is it means a day at home.  Cozy with snacks and plenty of time for me to crochet or cross stitch.  This year I decided to make BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches for the first Sunday of the season.  The pork is in the crock pot as we speak.  This is Will's favorite dish that I make.  He claims he could eat it every single day.  I enjoy it, but certainly not that much.  I think my favorite part of this dish is that he brags about it to all his friends = )  Let me tell you, that's one motivation to cooking it that I just can't turn down!

Barbecued Pulled Pork Sandwich from the "The NFL Gameday Cookbook" (with my personal notes and adjustments.)

RUB
3 T Salt
2 T Black Pepper
1T Granulated Garlic
1 T Paprika

INGREDIENTS
One pork butt, fat cap trimmed off. The pork butt is the shoulder blad, or the "butt" end of the whole shoulder. If you're feeding an army get a 7 to 8 lb pork butt. If it's just a couple of you, use a 2 1/2 -3 lb butt.

2 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple juice
2 cups BBQ sauce (see below for BBQ sauce recipe)
Hamburger buns
Coleslaw (as desired)

To make the rub, in a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and paprika.  Rub the meat with the oil and then sprinkle it liberally with the rub.  Put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 min and up to 12 hours.  I usually let it sit in the fridge over night.

Place the meat in the crock pot and cook on LOW 10-12 hours or on HIGH 5-6 hours.  I usually cook it on high for 6 hours for a 3 lb shoulder.  If you're using more meat adjust to allow more time to cook.

After the meat has cooked for the initial 6 hours (or 12 hours respectively), remove the pork from the crock pot and put in the center of a big piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil.  Put the foil wrapped meat back into the crock pot.  Pour the apple juice over the top of the butt and seal the foil package.  Cook for an additional 2-3 hours. 

Once the meat has cooked this additional time carefully remove the pork from the slow cooker, open the foil package and let the meat rest (suggested time is 30 min).

Carefully put the pork in a casserole or serving dish and shred the meat with two forks. The meat should fall apart easily. 

Make BBQ sauce and mix with shredded pork.  Put pork on hamburger bun.  Can add coleslaw, chopped onions etc.  Serve and enjoy!

"Dr. BBQ's Caroline Barbecue Sauce" By Ray Lampe ("The NFL Gameday Cookbook")

INGREDIENTS

1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup ketchup (I usually substitute Honey Smoke BBQ Sauce instead of ketchup.  It adds a hint of sweetnes which really goes well with the spicey sauce)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

In a small saucepan, mix all ingredients.  Cook over low heat for 5 minutes stirring to blend. 

Makes about 2 cups


From the Recipe Box:
"The NFL Gameday Cookbook" By Ray Lampe
http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Gameday-Cookbook-Ray-Lampe/dp/B0032FO5BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284311520&sr=8-1

1 comment: