![]() |
| Peek-a-Boo! |
My boy is 11 months old today. This morning he woke up early and was crying
in his crib so I brought him in to snuggle and snooze with Mommy and
Daddy. We all fell back asleep breathing
softly next to one another. A sweet,
warm, little body snuggled up against mine.
The perfect size and shape for this Mommy heart.
We’ve been working on getting Logan on the same eating schedule
as us. The past couple of days he and I
have dinner together when we get home from work / daycare. He tries some “table food” and we sit and
enjoy our meal. As he finishes eating I
read him a story and we just sit and take our time.
![]() |
| Mmm, Chocolate! |
I’ve been trying to be PRESENT in these evening
moments.
Historically I rush through dinner so I can get stuff done around
the house. Some nights I’d pray for him
to nap so I could get something done - only to languish on the couch exhausted
from a long day at work.
But these past few days I’ve found a better way. The rushing and frantic mess of trying to do
too much robs me of so much more. It’s
when I sit back, and really enjoy these moments with my son that I find
peace. The dishes may stay dirty another
night and the laundry may have to wait for the weekend, but I’ve intentionally
made time to play with my boy and the world seems a little brighter when I do.


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYes! It's SO hard to learn to "let go" of all the obligations we put on ourselves - the clean house, the perfectly set table, the laundry, etc. Heck, even days when I don't teach, most of the time I completely skip the hair-do and makeup because that's a solid hour I'd rather spend taking my kids to the park or reading a book. Even as a WAHM (work at home mom), I started feeling like I was "missing out" on things, even though I'm home with the boys every day, because I was too rushed and was trying to cram too many things into one day. I took a HUGE step back over the summer, reevaluated my life and priorities, and made some decisions. To be fully present every day with my kids became priority #1 - and it's easier said than done! But it's completely worth it. I can ALWAYS get back to having a perfectly clean house, working more hours, doing my hair and makeup every day, etc., but I won't be able to get back to raising little boys once they're grown. Taking time just to BE with them is absolutely worth whatever "chore" I sacrifice in the meantime. =)
ReplyDelete