Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What Rest Looks Like


Rest is a foreign word to me these days.  Sunday night I was praying for what I thought was rest.  I was praying for a moment of clarity in the haze of work and home and cleaning and all the other things that are past due on my to do list.  I was wishing for more husband snuggling time and baby boy time and healthy family time.

Monday morning I woke up with a rush to the ER.  Monday night I was up too many times to count with a sleepy little boy who just wouldn’t stay asleep.  Tuesday morning I woke up early to take my boy to daycare and make it to the car dealership in time to make it to work on time.  All on a day when I had intended to get to work a couple hours early.

And I briefly wonder if I didn’t pray the right prayer on Sunday night.  I know God heard my request.  But perhaps I am not looking in the right places or for the right things.  Maybe rest isn’t what I thought it was. 

So I’ve decided to see what unexpected ways God HAS given me REST this week.  I wouldn’t have counted these things as rest if I wasn’t looking for them deliberately.  I had an entirely different view of rest when I asked for it.  But maybe that’s the point I’ve been missing …

So hear is my version of rest this week:

Taking advantage of a snoozy boy to take a shower at night so I’m not rushed the next morning.

Painting my nails while my husband watches Monday night football and my boy goes to bed early. 

Seeing my husband smile as he relaxes for the first time in weeks, even though we are sitting in the Emergency Room.

Taking an hour and a half nap when I had too much work to do but just couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer.

Spending time with girlfriends even though I'm exhausted and fear I have no words left to share that day.

Watching my son’s face as I rock him back to sleep at 4:00 a.m.

Taking advantage of a power outage at work to get coffee with a colleague.

What are some unexpected signs of rest you've experienced lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment