Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Gift Unwrapped

A number of years ago my dad gave me a book by Joe Caruso called "The Power of Losing Control."  It's all about letting go of the things that ultimately we have no control over ... and focusing on what we CAN control = our own responses.  I am by nature a control freak.  I struggle with change and tend to live in fear of the "what ifs" in life.  So yes, this was a perfect book for me.  At the time he suggested we read it and then we could meet up and talk over what we read.  Well, I was young, busy and way too embarrassed/self conscious/whatever to talk through the book with him.  I did read the book - and learned a lot!  But never met up with him to talk things through.

Last year I realized the immense gift I'd been given ... and subsequently turned down (aaah how many of those we all have--at least I'm guessing I'm not the only one?!).  A chance to learn from my dad - as an adult.  There's no way I can go back and change the past (that's an on-going lesson I have to keep reminding myself of).  BUT, I can make a different choice now and change the future.  At 30, I'm FINALLY to the point where I'm not embarrassed to share my faith and discuss it with others.  I'm finding that happening more and more over the past few years.  My confidence in myself, and in God, is growing.  It's freeing to know I can be myself and don't have to shy away from speaking my heart and what God's been teaching me.

SO ... last September I invited my dad to read "Lord, Change My Attitude Before It's Too Late" By James MacDonald. It took us 11 months to complete the book and the study guide in the back of the book corresponding with each chapter ... but last month we finished!  I'll admit I'm a lot to blame for how long it took to get through the study.  I have a tendency to overcommit (don't we all?!?).  But, it has been so great to have phone conversations and times where we met for dinner and reviewed the latest chapter.  I am so lucky to have my dad.  He's thoughtful and wise and there's a lot I can learn from him.  Of all the things I regret, or wish I could change, I'm so glad to have been able to check one off that list ... taking the opportunity to learn from my dad before it's too late. 

Tonight we're meeting by phone for our Sunday night study.  We're starting our second book, "Making All Things New" by Henri Nouwen.  Here's a taste of what's in this book:
"Our days are filled with things to do, people to meet, projects to finish, letters to write, calls to make, and appointments to keep.  Our lives often seem like overpacked suitcases bursting at the seams.  In fact, we are almost always aware of being behind schedule." "...Our occupations and preoccupations fill our external and internal lives to the brim.  They prevent the Spirit of God from breathing freely in us and thus renewing our lives." - Henri Nouwen
Intrigued?  So am I.  = )

So, here's a question for you ... what are some of the things (maybe one thing) you wish you'd done differently the first time around?  Now, consider ways to respond differently NEXT time!  I realize there are some things we can't undo, but maybe we can pass on the lesson we've learned to someone else.  It's all in how we look at it!  It's such a relief to not carry that burden of guilt around any longer.   I still have plenty to learn and a long journey ahead of me, but it feels good to know I'm at least making a little progress.


From the Bookshelf ...

"The Power of Losing Control" By Joe Caruso.  You can find the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Losing-Control-Joe-Caruso/dp/B000GG4F8G/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283105934&sr=1-1

"Lord, Change My Attitude Before It's Too Late" By James MacDonald. You can find the book here: http://store.walkintheword.com/p-713-lord-change-my-attitude-before-its-too-late.aspx

"Making All Things New" by Henri Nouwen. You can find the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Making-All-Things-New-Invitation/dp/006066326X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283105229&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment